Welcome to my little farm in the city.

This is a little blog about my life here on my little farm in the city. I am a wife, a mom, a grandma to 6 beautiful grandchildren. I live in a small Mayberry like town in the snowy midwest. We live on the banks of a lake in the woods. I raise chickens and this year I really plan to try my hand at a small garden so that I can use the products for canning this year. It will be a venture, but I have high hopes. I am an avid knitter and I love to work on new patterns that I find. You will probably find much of my work here as I finish it. Well thanks for stopping bye and please stop in often and stay as long as you like. Trudy

Saturday, January 26, 2013

BRRRR who turned down the heat?

Well  I know it  has  been a while.  I  have  not  even one  good  excuse  for  my  not  being  here.  I  have  been busy with  knitting and  crochet projects  for the  grandchildren , donations and  just  for me .  

SO..........   I awoke  yesterday morning  to  a bit of an  ice  storm  coming  to my neck of the  woods. Now  I live  in South Carolina, as  you know.  We  have  very mild  winters here............  usually.  This  past  couple days  though mother nature  had  plans  of her  own I guess.  I was  the  lucky  recipient  of  this  yesterday and  the  cold temps  were crazy.

Yes  that  is  ice, and  you did not  dare  walk out  on the  deck  yesterday or  you would  have  immediately  tumbled .  I had  to go out the  front  door and  all the way around to the  backyard to open up my  chicken coop  and  by  last  night  we  had  more  ice  yet.  This  morning  ..........  it  is  now  all melting  and  just  wet .  Crazy  weather  we  have  here  and  I hear  by Tuesday it  is supposed  to be  72  degrees.   Yes  crazy  weather this  winter  here in the  south .

 So  I have  been working  on  knitting projects  for donations  , family and  friends  and  it seems  that  all of the sudden (I suppose  that  winter  has a hand in this )  I have  people wanting to order my knitted fingerless mitts .  I  love to knit these as they are  so easy and quick to make ..







 Also  I have  had  a couple orders  for my  knitted  slippers ,  so wonderful on  a cold  winters night to keep those  toes  toasty.   I  need  to keep those  needles going non  stop as  my  yarn stash  grew  from  just  a  couple of very  small totes  to a large tote and  a  rainbow  of colors.  I was  a  very  lucky  recipient  of a donation and  I felt  very  blessed  to receive it.  Since  my  husband  is  still on disability  and  I am not  able to work as  I am ab out 50% legally blind  the one thing  I LOVE to do is  knit and crochet and  try to make anything I can from scratch  rather  then  to buy  because  money is  very  short  here.   I  also  love  to knit items  to donate  to charity  such as  mittens and  scarfs for the homeless shelters.  I truly  enjoy this  anytime of the  year  and I know it is much appreciated.

 As  for those  grand chldren ......  they are  growing  by leaps and bounds .  My littlest angel Alyssa  is  getting so big  and  is  just  about one step away from crawl.  She is the happiest , easygoing little angel ,  always  a  little ray of sunshine.





Then there is  my  son in the  army.  He  will be  done  and out of the  army in May and  he and his  family will come  home to South Carolina  to live  finally.  It  has  been way  too many  years  since he and his family have  been home and I can not  wait to see them again and to spend time with  and watch my grandson  Xavier Lee grow.  He will be  4  this August and  I can not wait to see him again.  






So  that  is  what  I have  been up too as of  lately.  I hope that  you all are doing well  and  staying  warm  this  winter.  Me  I am  doing  very well and  yes  I am  staying  warm  and  just  busily  knitting  down  this  stash  of  yarn.  As  much as  I LOVE  to knit and  crochet.........  it  makes  me a bit sad  as  I know  that  when it is  gone  I will have  no more  yarn  to play with ,  but  until then  I will continue to make those mittens and  scarfs  to donate and  enjoy every minute of  it  too!  See you soon.  take care and  be kind to one  another !! 


1 comment:

Sheltie Times said...

What at least the cold has helped your business.

I've been crocheting some donations and now to get ready for my Easter stuff that needs to go out at the beginning of March.