Welcome to my little farm in the city.

This is a little blog about my life here on my little farm in the city. I am a wife, a mom, a grandma to 6 beautiful grandchildren. I live in a small Mayberry like town in the snowy midwest. We live on the banks of a lake in the woods. I raise chickens and this year I really plan to try my hand at a small garden so that I can use the products for canning this year. It will be a venture, but I have high hopes. I am an avid knitter and I love to work on new patterns that I find. You will probably find much of my work here as I finish it. Well thanks for stopping bye and please stop in often and stay as long as you like. Trudy

Saturday, April 25, 2020

Fuzzy Butt Plans

         One of the best things about coming home again is the joy and anticipation of raising chickens again.  I love chickens....  I love just about everything there is to do with chickens and I even don't mind cleaning up after chickens.  I love all the eggs they bless us with.  I love all the different color eggs these sweet girls give you.    I can't imagine having a small farm without having some fuzzy butt girls to brighten my day.  They are my joy in the early mornings and I love to sit and have little conversations with them each day.  
     So if we want to have chicks, we must build a place to put them.  Some place safe for them and easy for me to clean and gather the goods they leave for me.  Thus the coop and run build has begun.  It won't be a big coop.  Not nearly as big as what I had in South Carolina or Arkansas but definitely just as safe as those.  My husband likes to call them his version  of Fort Knox.  We have a lot of predators here as we did in SC so he is making it as safe and impermeable as he can.  This time will be no different as the last two times.  I will only have a small flock this time but they will be so special to me.  I am finally getting a breed I have longed for so I intend to keep them as safe and healthy as I can.  
     The chicks will be here in just a few days so we must  get this coop ready for the big day.  Here are just a couple pictures of the progress of the run which is almost done and the coop that we began today.  If you have any questions about how we are doing the build you are welcome to ask in the comments or send me an email.  For now I will sign off it has been a busy day and tomorrow promises to be even longer.   See you next time when the fuzzy butts check into town and take up residence in Sunflower Farms .  Until next time...... Take care and be kind to everyone. 



No comments: