Welcome to my little farm in the city.

This is a little blog about my life here on my little farm in the city. I am a wife, a mom, a grandma to 6 beautiful grandchildren. I live in a small Mayberry like town in the snowy midwest. We live on the banks of a lake in the woods. I raise chickens and this year I really plan to try my hand at a small garden so that I can use the products for canning this year. It will be a venture, but I have high hopes. I am an avid knitter and I love to work on new patterns that I find. You will probably find much of my work here as I finish it. Well thanks for stopping bye and please stop in often and stay as long as you like. Trudy

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Adventures in Camper living...

    Let's just say I am not a huge fan of camper living.  I have always been a girl scout - in the forest-tent sleeping - cooking everything over a campfire- kinda girl.  I have never been one to want to go live in a camper.  Ever.....
    Perhaps it never just the right kinda camper.  I have seen many but all with mini everythings inside them. Unless you are in one of those -mansion size buses- tiny houses on wheels.  
     Perhaps it's my claustrophobic nature.  Perhaps it is the iddy biddy stove and fridge that hold very little.  I mean seriously, I can't imagine cooking a dinner of great quality in these iddy bidddy size of a matchbox ovens.  I just haven't been a big fan.  
    Today I looked over on my table and saw 2 very over ripe bananas.  Unfortunately I knew I had to take action.  I hate to throw out bananas because I absolutely love them but.....  that would mean trying to use that teeny tiny - my microwave  is bigger than that- oven.  What to do?  
    So off I go, let's do an experiment I suppose.   Was I crazy to think this.... to even consider trying to bake in an oven I didn't even know how light?  Probably but what could possibly go wrong?  Worst case scenario I would just have to toss the end result and chalk it up to experience.
    Well I mixed it, put it in a pan that I generously greased and looked at that oven that i hoped was heated to the right temperature.  There is no oven light to let you know you are at temp.  In to the oven it went while I hoped, said a little prayer and tried to occupy my time for an hour.  
    I peeked into that oven an hour later and pulled one out, tested it and amazingly enough it was done!!!!  It looked absolutely beautiful, golden brown and smelled glorious!! I took out the 2nd loaf and it was just as gorgeous.   I am simply amazed I would never thought it could be done!!!!  

    There is hope.  Perhaps I may be convinced just a wee bit that camper living might not be quite so bad if indeed I can produce some semblance of normalcy such as a loaf of Banana Bread!!!  I must admit I can't do this over a campfire.  Perhaps it might be okay.  I must admit my curiosity is peaking..... what might I try to bake next in this oven???  Stay tuned .  I think I will make a cup of tea, have a slice it two of bread and mull it over.  Be blessed....     Trudy

No comments: